Self-discipline almost feels like an old-fashioned word-something that people once valued and practiced that has become almost extinct. It's not that we don't like the idea of self-discipline, but we've lost the realization that mastering the art of self-discipline takes constant practice.
Discipline can give you freedom, freedom from being a slave to your moods, desires and appetites. It is the ability to take action irrespective of your emotional condition. It also implies that you take action according to what you think and not depending upon what you feel.
Mastering self-discipline is important for a happier and more productive life.
It involves giving up pleasure and thrill which is found in the ‘now’, for the help and contentment of the ‘later’. It is vital for leadership, better health and lifestyle and for everything.
In today’s age of social media distractions and the pace of life being constantly increasing, it has become very significant factor setting apart those who lead and those who are swept away by the gush of the ordinary. For people who are struggling with self discipline, it can be developed and below are the ways how.
Here Are 7 Strategies You Can Use To Master Self Discipline
32 Ways To Build Self-Discipline!
1. Benefits of self discipline:With self discipline, you will realize your true dreams and understand self potential. Self discipline will help you get things done by eradicating anything that is wasting your time in a day. Another benefit from self discipline is that you will learn to focus more and pay attention to what is a priority to you without getting distracted.
2. Four elements to success:To succeed in having self discipline, you must have these four key elements to let self discipline develop and flourish. The four elements are self control, motivation, persistence and goals.
3. Roles of key elements:Self control will help you to control your desires, mood, actions and emotions, words and personal focus. Motivation will be needed to never stop and keep on achieving success. Persistence is required to overcome failure and still continue on the path to success. Goals are tangible success that motivates and is defined as achievements.
4. Respect your body:Self discipline involves self respect. Thus pay attention to the messages your body sends you. A human body is created with great mastery and you will know when something is off balance. Understand your body messages and treat it well. Exercise or do yoga to get the balance of mind and body.
5. Fill your mind with positive information:You must nurture your mind by soaking it with positive and engaging information. Read books, engage in meaningful discussions, avoid negative conversations and people, and listen to soothing, joyful and boosting music rather than watching television and filling your mind with all the negativity and commercialism.
6. Be courageous:Your emotional state, desires and appetites will be very powerful energies to go up against. You cannot just pretend that things will be easy for you, when you are actually going to struggle and find difficulties. Instead build up courage to face the reality and face the challenges. As you start accomplishing your goals, you will be more self assured and courage would naturally come in you.
7. Respect the spirituality in you:It is essential to feel connected to something greater than you. By meditation, praying or spending time with nature you can connect with the Creator. It helps in making decisions for greater good and not just for something that feels good in that moment.
8. Take care of your physical health:You become disciplined from the time you start taking care for yourself. When you treat your body well, it helps you in reaching and accomplishing amazing goals. Eating a healthy diet, getting adequate rest and exercising, maintaining body weight and avoid indulging in smoking, drinking or consuming high caffeine.
9. Value your time:You must value your time with your work, family and self. Make generous space in your life for each of the zones. Schedule your family time and personal time similar to how you schedule your work time and other responsibilities.
10. Prepare written agendas:When you prepare a written agenda and add everything to it, you generate priorities and sticking to your priorities will help you develop self discipline. Writing down helps for you to remember your priority and not miss out anything.
11. Make small changes:Many people want to develop self discipline by bringing drastic changes in their lives. However one must know that this can lead to failure and can have damaging consequences. You must make small changes in your life with things and not completely change everything at once. Simple and small is the key to mastering the art of self discipline.
12. Take small steps:If you are struggling and don’t understand how to make small and simple goals, take one thing at a time and work on it. For instance if you are suffering from low productivity, pick a single factor that leads to decreased productivity for you and eliminate that for a week. Perhaps you decide on avoiding personal text messages while you are at work, then you may focus on it for a week. Take up another factor the next week after you have mastered that change.
13. Set realistic and achievable goals:People make the biggest blunder by setting goals that are next to impossible to achieve for them, just for the sake of developing self discipline. You need to learn to set realistic goals and set milestones for the long term goals to improve self discipline. It will help you to easily monitor your progress and boosts you up for further goals.
14. Make a daily checklist:It is helpful to create a daily to do list, to help you exercise self discipline. You never miss a thing in your routine and it helps you to make sure you are doing everything without your mood coming in the way. Ensure each day that you complete each of the mentioned tasks.
15. Avoid talking about your goals to others:You may be sharing your thoughts with friends and family about your efforts to learn and develop self discipline, so that you receive some encouragement and support. However most of the time people end up talking about negatives and how things cannot work leaving you discouraged altogether. When you feel even slight discouragement you are bound to fail and believe you were meant to.
16. Reward yourself on success:You must rewa